Selected Products and Studies
- Global Accessibility Standards (iAccess). This project, in cooperation with Sustainable Travel International, is designed to develop and implement a system of information on accessibility conditions for accommodation, tours and attractions worldwide. It is based on the concept of provision of basic information on conditions and barriers at the site level which can be used by all to interpret whether a place is accessible to them, based on their knowledge of their own capabilities. (ongoing)
- Tourism and the Green Economy in Small Island Developing States (SIDS). Production, for UNEP of the tourism chapter for an analysis of barriers and opportunities associated with the new Green Economy initiatives as applied to SIDS. The study addressed the state of tourism in SIDS, impacts of growing tourism including cruise tourism, the challenge of making SIDS tourism more sustainable and the specific conditions which affect the adoption of greener practice in tourism in SIDS.
- Criteria for Sustainable Destinations. Working with Sustainable Travel International, for the Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC) Tourisk developed the criteria and indicators which are designed to be used to designate (and maybe certify) destinations as being sustainable.
- Cruise Tourism Impact. An evaluation was done of the potential to make cruise tourism a positive factor in destination and port development worldwide. A chapter was produced for the book The Business and Management of Ocean Cruises (Vogel et. al, 2012) on Impacts of Cruising.
- Tourism Training – coastal Africa. For UNIDO, organized and managed a program to assess requirements for training for tourism associated with the UNIDO COAST program in Senegal, the Gambia, Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon, Mozambique, Seychelles, Tanzania and Kenya. Carried out the needs assessment for training for the Kenya and Tanzania components of the program.
- Workplace Health and Training – Chongqing China. For the Canadian International Development Organization a workplace health and training program was developed and delivered for migrant workers in Chongqing, focusing on the construction, mining and tourism industries – the primary employers of migrant workers. The program targeted nearly one million migrant workers via a training of trainers approach employing standards based on the Canadian examples and the work done in the Jiangsu environmental training program completed in 2005.
- Destination Plan for Jasper Alberta Tourism and Economic Development specialist for Jasper Community Sustainability Plan, developing a plan for Jasper townsite, a community entirely within the boundaries of Canada’s Jasper National Park. The project involved a consultative approach and the integration of community, visitor and park protection objectives within the context of sustainable development. (Jointly with Fo-Tenn Consulting)
- Fairmont Hotels GHG Reduction. For the World Wildlife Fund and Fairmont Hotels, undertook a benchmarking study of Fairmont properties in Canada and internationally to provide a basis for the Chain-wide GHG reduction strategy. The study involved establishing the means of data collection and comparison across properties in many climates and jurisdictions with different energy sources, and the identification of a strategic approach to GHG reduction through a range of actions.
- Nanotechnology for Sustainable Development. For the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) provided the keynote address to the Paris 2009 Conference on Potential Environmental Benefits of Nanotechnology: Fostering Safe Innovation-Led Growth focusing on the strategic deployment of emerging nanotechnologies for the solution of global and local sustainable development issues. (publications for copy)
- Sustainable Tourism for Bohol Philippines. For the UN World Tourism Organization and the Government of the Philippines, ran a study and workshop on key issues in sustainable tourism for Bohol Philippines and a training session on indicators of sustainable tourism for Bohol and for specific destinations in the island. (see publications list for the report)
- Indicators of Sustainable Tourism for UNWTO. Lead consultant and facilitator for the International Task Force on Indicators of Sustainable Tourism for the World Tourism Organization. Led case studies and workshops for Balaton Hungary, Cozumel Mexico, Beruwala Sri Lanka, Kukljica Croatia, Chaguaramas Trinidad, Phuket Thailand, Yangshuo China and Jeddah Saudi Arabia.
- Coastal Tourism Africa. For the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)Program on Reduction of Impact from Coastal Tourism in Africa (the Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Senegal, Seychelles, Tanzania), serve as International Expert advisor on Carrying Capacity Assessment.
- Cuba and Caribbean Tourism Sustainability. For the World Wildlife Fund (Canada), serve as expert advisor on ecotourism, sustainable tourism development and tourist sector conservation measures, with a focus on Caribbean issues and applications in Cuba. .
- Egypt Tourism Evaluation. For USAID and Harvard International, undertook policy evaluation of US assistance program in Egypt.
- Cyprus Tourism Indicators. For Cyprus, developed an integrated indicators program for sustainable tourism for the island nation with indicators at local, regional and national levels.
- Argentina Tourism Indicators. For Argentina, completed studies on sustainability indicators for Villa Gesell and Peninsula Valdes.
- Sustainable Tourism Training. High impact training lectures and workshops on sustainable tourism carrying capacity for officials in Greece, Mexico, India, China, Turkey Canada and universities in US, Chile, Slovakia.
- Rural Tourism in Canada. For Canadian regional and local governments, provided assistance in planning and marketing rural tourism products in rural and remote environments.
- Small Community Tourism. For small communities in Canada, prepared analyses of key barriers and opportunities for tourism development.
- Carrying Capacity. Developed approach for estimation of carrying capacity for tourism in fragile systems with applications to ecotourism and to indicators of key stressors and impacts.
- Destination Indicators Program. For the World Tourism Organization, led an international team of experts in production of methods and approaches for destination level indicators of sustainability.
- Black Sea State of Tourism. Strategic studies on sustainable tourism for World Tourism Organization, including rehabilitation of Black Sea tourism (Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Georgia, Russia, Ukraine).
- New Resort Development, Galich Russia. Feasibility study on ecotourism planning for a new all season resort in Russia. (UNEP) .
- Ecotourism Indicators. For Tourism Canada and the Parks Canada Agency produced a study of tourism and ecotourism indicators as a catalyst for integrated tourism and parks planning in northern Cape Breton Island.
- Program Impact Studies. Development of evaluation methodologies for environmental and social impacts of government programs. Application to review of Canadian government activities and the establishment of new evaluation procedures for complex and multi-agency programs
- Sustainable Development Strategies. Developed sustainable development strategies for government departments and agencies in Canada.